Breakfast in Goa
8:58 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
It was a beautiful postcard I’d bought from Paris, depicting a woman eating her breakfast of coffee and a crispy croissant. How heavenly a delicious breakfast can be, I thought.
I scavenged the fridge for something to eat. Packets of bread and a glass jar of sugary jam stood like retired sentinels on the rack. Tired of the monotony, I prayed that I’d find what I was guessing would be there – and luckily, I did. Somewhere in the recesses of the fridge, I found a neat package of brown paper. Mãe had visited the Da Cunha’s recently. They would never let her go without a brown package of half a dozen sannas.
After I’d heated them in the microwave, I watched the steam rise like conspiring ribbons from the white bread. Sannas looked very similar to idlis, only that they were a little bigger in size. They were made of a mixture of rice, toddy, coconut and jaggery ( that showed in brown patches on the ready sannas.) It was a common practice in Goa to prepare sannas to celebrate various religious feasts and occasions engagements and weddings. A week before the feast, one heard the clamouring symphony of the gigantic copper vessels that the older women used to steam cook the sannas.
I savoured two of the sannas, letting the sweetness of the jaggery linger in my mouth as an aftertaste. After a cup of hot tea, I was done.
A postcard perfect breakfast, I contentedly mused. Just two sannas and some tea.
I scavenged the fridge for something to eat. Packets of bread and a glass jar of sugary jam stood like retired sentinels on the rack. Tired of the monotony, I prayed that I’d find what I was guessing would be there – and luckily, I did. Somewhere in the recesses of the fridge, I found a neat package of brown paper. Mãe had visited the Da Cunha’s recently. They would never let her go without a brown package of half a dozen sannas.
After I’d heated them in the microwave, I watched the steam rise like conspiring ribbons from the white bread. Sannas looked very similar to idlis, only that they were a little bigger in size. They were made of a mixture of rice, toddy, coconut and jaggery ( that showed in brown patches on the ready sannas.) It was a common practice in Goa to prepare sannas to celebrate various religious feasts and occasions engagements and weddings. A week before the feast, one heard the clamouring symphony of the gigantic copper vessels that the older women used to steam cook the sannas.
I savoured two of the sannas, letting the sweetness of the jaggery linger in my mouth as an aftertaste. After a cup of hot tea, I was done.
A postcard perfect breakfast, I contentedly mused. Just two sannas and some tea.

0 comments:
Post a Comment