10:38 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
Spicy Hot

Why is Garam Masala called Garam Masala?

Literally translated, it means hot spice. I looked suspiciously at the packet of Garam Masala that sat neatly on the rack of our usual grocery store. It didn't have sides steaming out of heat. Nor did its description at the back talk about it being spicier than chillies. I dropped a packet into the trolley, hoping that Naani wouldn't notice.
Unfortunately she did and took grave offence.
'How dare you?' She hissed, her face looking as though she had eaten several packets of the spice herself. She scrunched the glossily packaged spice in her wrinkled hand and flung it back on a steel rack. 'No one buys Garam Masala from the store as long as Naani lives.' She stated.
Apparently she wasn't yet settled. That afternoon, Naani made me assist her in making Garam Masala at home.
The terrace floor was covered inch to inch with woven mats. Like a part of a great mosaic, there were cumin seeds, black pepper, cloves, Kashmiri and ghati chillies, poppy seeds, turmeric, coriander seeds, nutmeg, mustard seeds and black cardamom spread out in artistic patches.
'Think of the scorching sun as a great fire that roasts the spices to just the right amount.' Naani said, dusting her fingers in an attempt to weaken the odours that resulted from dealing with so many condiments.
When the 'roasting' was done, Naani and I collected all the sunbathed condiments into the container of an electric grinder. 'Technology makes tradition easier,' Naani chuckled, switching on the grinder.
After several rounds of whizzing blasts, the spicy powder was prepared.
When I touched the brown spice, it was still warm enough to justify its name.

That evening there was vegetable with chapattis for dinner. When I tasted the cooked potato and carrots, I recognised the flavour of Naani's Garam Masala. 'This is real taste,' Naani said, relishing the simple food.

I still don't know in the word 'Garam' in its name symbolizes the sun roasting it undergoes or its warmth after it has just been prepared or the hot- headed determination of grandmothers who are unbelievably attached to this spice-making process, but I guess Garam Masala is more important to Indian Kitchens than we will ever know

TANYA PINTO

0 comments: